Re: Tramp and recursive file operations

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Tramp and recursive file operations
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2009 09:45:40 -0400

>> It seems OK, but I'd rather see them renamed to copy-file-recursive and
>> delete-file-recursive at the same time and made independent from dired.
> OK. Looking outside dired, there is already delete-directory, good for
> empty directories. Maybe we add an optional parameter RECURSIVE?

Sounds OK, except for the fact that delete-directory is implemented in
C, so you'd have to code the recursion in C as well.

> A copy-directory function does not exist. What about allowing the first
> parameter of copy-file to be a directory name? This would imply to copy
> recursively.

If we were starting over from scratch, that would be fine, but I'm
afraid that some code somewhere relies on the fact that copy-file only
copies files and not directories.  And of course, copy-file is also
implemented in C, so you'd have to code the recursion in C as well.

        Stefan