Re: Tramp and recursive file operations

From: yary
Subject: Re: Tramp and recursive file operations
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2009 08:52:43 -0700

On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 1:06 AM, Michael Albinus <address@hidden> wrote:
..
> OK. Looking outside dired, there is already delete-directory, good for
> empty directories. Maybe we add an optional parameter RECURSIVE?
>
> A copy-directory function does not exist. What about allowing the first
> parameter of copy-file to be a directory name? This would imply to copy
> recursively.
>
> Comments?

I like the idea of adding an optional parameter to delete-directory.

Is there any existing code that may be using the error-check in
copy-file to ensure that the first arg is not a directory? I like the
idea of making the existing copy-file smart enough to "do the right
thing" when the first argument is a dir, but it could need an optional
RECURSIVE parameter if and only if other callers rely on it rejecting
directories.

-y