Re: loaddefs.el under cedet/

From: Glenn Morris
Subject: Re: loaddefs.el under cedet/
Date: Fri, 02 Oct 2009 14:32:52 -0400

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> But I think we should add these 3 files to LOADDEFS, so that removing
> them causes them to be re-created.  WDYT?

That's not appropriate, as the comment above LOADDEFS indicates:

  # Note this includes only those files that need special rules to
  # build; ie it does not need to include things created via
  # generated-autoload-file (eg calc/calc-loaddefs.el).

Doing what you suggest would have no effect anyway. The `autoloads'
rule contains a `doit' dependency, which means it always runs. Simply
running the rule does not necessarily recreate the cedet loaddefs.

You cannot get the result you want without changing the way the Emacs
autoloads mechanism currently works. Your point seems to be, that if
you delete one of the cedet loaddefs files in isolation, and then run
`make autoloads', it will not be recreated. The last time this
question came up, the answer was "If it hurts, don't do that."

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2008-04/msg00886.html