RE: persistent lisp objects

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: persistent lisp objects
Date: Wed, 7 Oct 2009 15:10:58 -0700

> > From what I understand, Thierry says that Emacs now has a general
> > serialization/deserialization feature, in the form of byte-compiling
> > to a file and then reading that file. I haven't tested it, but if
>
> I have no idea what he thinks as novel, but such functions have been
> available for ages.  Called print and read.

print and read are no good for objects whose print form is not readable by the
reader. That's the general problem (lack) in this regard.

I assumed he was saying that byte-compiling now did something more than that, so
that objects whose print form is not readable are neverthless handled. I didn't
try it myself.