Re: Bidirectional editing in Emacs -- main design decisions

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Bidirectional editing in Emacs -- main design decisions
Date: Sat, 10 Oct 2009 00:29:56 +0200

> From: address@hidden
> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden
> Date: Fri, 09 Oct 2009 23:55:19 +0200
>
> It works mostly the same as embedding images. From what youre
> writing below it sounds like the display of images will work as
> before, therefore my patch will apply, hopefully nicely, on top of
> bidi. Correct?

Correct.  Images and any other objects will be reordered according to
UAX#9, and as a single entity.  IOW, imagine that instead of the
embedded widget the buffer has a single character U+FFFC (OBJECT
REPLACEMENT CHARACTER).  The reordering code will treat the embedded
widget as it would treat that character.  That means, in particular,
that if the widget is embedded in text written in some right-to-left
script, the text that precedes the widget will be on the right of the
widget, and text that follows it will be on the left.