Re: ignoring autoloads in preloaded files on Windows

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: ignoring autoloads in preloaded files on Windows
Date: Sat, 10 Oct 2009 09:32:50 +0200

> From: Juanma Barranquero <address@hidden>
> Date: Sat, 10 Oct 2009 05:57:13 +0200
> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>, address@hidden
>
> > Will (getenv "MAKE") DTRT on Windows?
>
> I don't think so. $(MAKE) is defined for make runs, but it is not
> passed as an environment variable to subrprocesses:
>
> C:\> make
> c:\emacs\bin\emacs.exe -Q --batch --eval '(prin1 (getenv "MAKE"))'
> nil

That's true, but we can always work around this.  For example (watch
the make-cmd thing):

autoloads: $(lisp)/loaddefs.el $(LOADDEFS) doit
        @echo Directories: . $(WINS_UPDATES)
        $(emacs) -l autoload \
                --eval $(ARGQUOTE)(setq find-file-hook nil
find-file-suppress-same-file-warnings t make-cmd=$(MAKE))$(ARGQUOTE) \
                -f w32-batch-update-autoloads "$(lisp)/loaddefs.el" .
$(WINS_UPDATES)

Then use `make-cmd' inside autoload.el instead of a literal "make".

> OTOH, perhaps it would make sense to ask the user to define it.

I think this is undesirable, for something that needs to run at build
time.