Re: # in my waste basket

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: # in my waste basket
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2009 19:23:01 +0900

Tassilo Horn writes:

 > IMO, moving files to the trash can should be done only if a user
 > does it interactively in dired or by invoking things like
 > delete-file directly.

`delete-file' should make the decision based on whether it is
called-interactively-p.  `dired-remove-file' can use
`call-interactively' to pass that information to it.  Dired is a
special case, since it acts as a "UI agent" for the user.

 > On the other hand, when I do M-x gnus-agent-expire it is also an
 > interactive call,

But the calls to `delete-file' it makes are *not*
called-interactively-p.

I won't say this works for sure, but I think there's a pretty good
chance that it does.  (Ie, Dired is unusual in needing to use
`call-interactively' to DTRT.)