Starting multiple async processes from inside dired using &

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Starting multiple async processes from inside dired using &
Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2009 18:15:52 +0200

Hi all,

I've just noticed that it's not possible to start multiple asynchronous
processes using `shell-command', because they all want to be associated
with the one and only "*Async Shell Command*" buffer.

This is especially annoying when using dired and its `&'
(dired-do-async-shell-command) command.  I frequently want to open a
file with an external application, and as long as this process is alive,
another & will query

  A command is running.  Kill it? (yes or no)

where I don't want to kill the former process.  As a workaround, I can
rename the *Async Shell Command* buffer before starting the second
process, but that's quite inconvenient.

IMO, the right thing would be to create another *Async Shell Command*
buffer, uniquified with the executed command and its pid or something
like that.

Am I missing something obvious, because it looks to me like some quite
normal dired use case?

Bye,
Tassilo