Re: Customizing the mode line

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Customizing the mode line
Date: Sat, 31 Oct 2009 14:19:30 +0900

Chong Yidong <address@hidden> writes:
> By the way, since we're complaining about the mode-line: I find the
> sequence of "----" characters at the end of the mode-line hideous.  I
> wouldn't object to removing them for graphical displays (they're
> probably necessary for terminal displays).

They're rarely necessary for terminal displays either, because
reverse-video is used for the mode-line.

AFAIK, the dashes were basically intended for terminals like the vt52
which had no reverse-video, but the there's no significant usage of such
terminals today.

-Miles

--
Bacchus, n. A convenient deity invented by the ancients as an excuse for
getting drunk.