Re: How to recognize keyboard insertion?

From: David De La Harpe Golden
Subject: Re: How to recognize keyboard insertion?
Date: Sat, 31 Oct 2009 20:42:48 +0000

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
Date: Sat, 31 Oct 2009 19:26:02 +0000
From: David De La Harpe Golden <address@hidden>
CC: address@hidden

But therefore it's not necessary to track whether the character was entered by keyboard unless you want to provide a further unusual "smart"
layer that doesn't work like typical bidi apps.

I'm not convinced, sorry.  There are mirrored characters that are not
part of the localized keyboards, at least.  They are also not
supported by most language-oriented input methods.  We still need to
DTRT with them, even if they are inserted as Unicode codepoints or in
some other way.

Well, you're writing the code, I'm in a ltr (not counting btt standing stones) area, I was just pointing out how the existing crop bidi apps do "handle" (i.e. not do anything clever) the issue.

Maybe one way to handle it would be to make an (emacs level) input method autoswitcher, that swaps emacs input methods as the rtl/ltr context switches with point movement. i.e. allow (but don't require)
rtl and ltr contexts to have different emacs input methods.
Then there could be variant emacs input methods with various transpositions suitable for use with various os-level keymaps. And you don't have to be able to _record_ whether an inserted character came from the keyboard.