Re: bzr repository ready?

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: bzr repository ready?
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2009 04:09:56 +0100

>     BTW, one thing that the people who only have experience with CVS does
>     not appreciate, is a changeset-oriented VCS, where the source base
>     transforms on discrete and well defined steps. Among other things, this
>     makes the Changelog unnecessary, as it turns to be the equivalent of
>     `bzr log'.
>
> They are not equivalent.  The ChangeLog files are included in the
> checkout, so you can read them even when you are offline (which is
> nearly all the time, for me).  `bzr log' requires contact with the
> repository.

Unless you explicitly request it, a bzr branch or checkout carries the
full history of the branch. So `bzr log' does not need contact with the
repository.

A bzr branch in your machine carries all version control data that you
could get from the CVS server for that branch.

> The obvious solution, running `bzr log' and saving output to a file
> with every update, is not a full solution since it won't give the real
> information about branches that were merged.
>
> Is there a way to get all the information about what has been
> merged into the current trunk?

Yes: bzr log -n1

You can even see the history of the branches that were merged into the
branches that were merged into the branches [repeat n times] that finally
were merged into trunk:

bzr log -n0

And everything without net access.

> Various directories have separate ChangeLog files.  Is that true also
> for `bzr log', or is it one log for the whole package?

bzr log elisp

will show the log of the subset of the history that touches files on the
elisp directory, for instance. This works for all files and directories.

> Another convenience with ChangeLog files is that we split them into
> manageable-size parts.  It would be nice to have a script that would
> do the same thing to the output of `bzr log', preferring to split
> at the points where releases occurred.

You can ask to see the log between two points. A point can be a revision
number or a tag.

bzr log -r tag:sometag..

shows the log from the tag `sometag' to the last revision.

--
Óscar