Re: Emacs for new users

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: Emacs for new users
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2009 13:47:22 -0500

Giuseppe Scrivano <address@hidden> writes:

>> * beeping is often disturbing and unexpected, in particular for
>> scrolling past the beginning or end of the
>>   buffer with the scroll wheel. (I agree. That's hardly an error.)
>
> yes, I agree with you, beeping is often disturbing.  You can disable it,
> changing the value of visible-bell to t:
>
>   (setq visible-bell t)

This is bug#1305.  That discussion never came to a conclusion.

Some people mentioned that they find the visible bell distracting, and I
have to say I agree; personally I have ring-bell-function as 'ignore.
(Actually, my main computer doesn't even have PC-speaker support in the
kernel...)

I guess we should add an Options menu entry to turn off the beeper,
under "Blinking Cursor".