Re: 50 seconds is 1 hour?

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: 50 seconds is 1 hour?
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 2009 18:34:40 +0100

On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 6:24 PM, Davis Herring <address@hidden> wrote:

> Clearly, extending it to handle all this would interfere terribly with its
> correct usage.  So, no.  Perhaps you'd like to specify an interface for
> the function you'd really like to have?  I'd be willing to write it if I
> knew what exactly you wanted it to return.  (For instance, should it omit
> fields that are 0?  That is, without varying any formatting arguments that
> it might have, should it be able to return "5:34" and "1:00:31" for 334
> and 3631 seconds?)

I am just trying to get a human readable output of the result of
(time-subtract ...). I use it for elapsed time. Clearly for such usage
the output could in a strict sense contain only

  days, hours, minutes, seconds

Making a good general function for that seems perhaps a bit tricky
since you may both want to leave out things from the beginning of this
list and specify a format for them. But maybe it can take four
optional format arguments in the reverse order of this list?