Re: faster unicode character name completion

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: faster unicode character name completion
Date: Sat, 05 Dec 2009 07:38:33 +0900

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:
>> The drawback of the new code is that one can see only the
>> list of the first words of character names in the completion
>> buffer at once by C-x 8 RET TAB, instead of all of the
>> unicode character names.
>
> That's a pretty serious drawback as it prevents uses such as
> C-x 8 RET *arro TAB.

If so, I think this change is unacceptable -- the only sane way to
search for characters in huge unicode name space with the existing
completion code is to use "*".

Because of the way unicode characters named, using large numbers of
"noise" words, it's often surprisingly hard to remember the true name of
a character, much less find it given a vague idea, if one is required to
type the name in order...

-Miles

--
Year, n. A period of three hundred and sixty-five disappointments.