Re: Emacs 23.1.90 pretest

From: chad
Subject: Re: Emacs 23.1.90 pretest
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2009 13:56:21 -0800

On Dec 11, 2009, at 1:36 PM, Yavor Doganov wrote:

Jan Djärv wrote:
Librsvg can not work on OSX except with X11. Librsvg is totally
dependent on X11.
[...]
Your last change seems good enough for me (it reinstates SVG support
on GNUstep), but AFAICS there's still something fishy here.

If the initial test for

  HAVE_X11 || HAVE_NS

caused configure to find librsvg for the OP, and librsvg depends on
X11, and he had a build failure during compilation because of
unresolved X symbols (IIRC), isn't this an indication that his
installation is somewhat broken?  (I still can't explain myself why
the test was wrong in the first place as you say.)

OS X comes with a full X11 setup that it can run as a sort of `hosted' window system, distinct from the native system used by --with-ns.  I would expect it to be fairly common to see developers on macosx with X11, Gnome, GTK, and perhaps even librsvg installed.   Neither emacs not any other application of which I am aware *under macosx* can deal with both X11 and Carbon/Cocoa/Quartz at the same time, so simply finding the libraries installed is not sufficient to tell you (or configure) if the library should be used.   It is possible that GNUStep systems can use both, since they implement one in terms of the other -- I'm unfamiliar with GNUStep these days.

*Chad