Re: GNU Emacs is on Bazaar now.

From: Kenichi Handa
Subject: Re: GNU Emacs is on Bazaar now.
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2009 17:07:37 +0900

Thank you for the quick responce.

In article <address@hidden>, Karl Fogel <address@hidden> writes:

> Kenichi Handa <address@hidden> writes:
>>> In case you missed it: GNU Emacs is on Bazaar now.  Please see
>>> http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/BzrForEmacsDevs for how to (re)obtain
>>> your development sources from Bazaar.
> >
> > I followed that page and created "quickfixex" branch.  Then,
> > I editted src/ChangeLog to add entries I forgot last time,
> > saved the file, and typed C-x v v C-c C-c.  Then I noticed
> > that "C-x v v C-c C-c" is enough to commit in CVS, but
> > perhaps not in Bazaar.  The above wiki page doesn't describe
> > what to do from Emacs to finish committing.  Should I do
> > this manually?
> >
> > % bzr commit -m 'Add entries in ChangeLog'

> You should do whatever the wiki page says; it is written from a
> command-line perspective.

It says "Now you start editing. When you are done:".  For my
finger, "when you are done" meant "C-x C-s C-x v v C-c C-c"
in CVS and VC, and it was done before I realize that I'm now
in Bazaar.  :-(

> (I don't know what directory you intend the
> above to run in, so I can't answer your question as asked.

I'm now in "emacs/quickfixes" directory.

> The idea is
> that you should merge your change from quickfixes to trunk, then commit
> trunk -- since trunk is bound to upstream, the commit there will push
> the changes to the upstream master.)

Hmmm, ok, by follwoing the wiki page, I did these:

% bzr commit -m 'Add new entries to ChangeLog'
% cd ../trunk
% bzr pull
% bzr merge ../quickfixes
% bzr commit -m 'Merge: add new entries to ChangeLog'

I hope that is the right way.

But I have two questiongs.

Why do I need to supply similar comments twice?  Is it the
convention to follow that the second comment starts with
"Merge: ..."?

In CVS age, we don't add comments for changes of ChangeLog
file.  But bzr claims as below:

bzr: ERROR: empty commit message specified

when I do something like "% bzr commit -m ''".  Isn't it avoidable?

> Anyone should go ahead and document the VC commands if they know them,
> by the way.

I appreciate such a work very much.  The above procedure is
toooo annoying compared with the C-x v v C-c C-c in CVS age.

---
Kenichi Handa
address@hidden