Re: GNU Emacs is on Bazaar now.

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: GNU Emacs is on Bazaar now.
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2009 20:40:47 +0100

James Cloos <address@hidden> writes:

> On a 64-bit box (Linux kernel, GNU userland) the initial branch caused
> the python process to boloon to over two gigs of vm, most kept resident.

What version are you using? For me, it required approx 1 GB on a 64 bit
GNU/Linux machine. (bzr 2.0.1, python 2.6.4, http)

> One'll need a big box to work with the new repo.

You need lots of memory for the initial branch. For the rest of
operations, I think you need much less memory. Branching from the local
trunk mirror required ~180 MB for me, using a shared repository.

> I can imagine that it'll be a significant load on the server, too.

With http/sftp, bazaar transfers a lot of data but as it is CPU-bound
too, it does not hit the server too hard. The bzr protocol (or bzr+ssh)
causes a noticeable cpu load on the server.

> Too bad bzr is written in python.
>
> How painful is it to grab an additional branch from the main repo over
> sftp, comared to the grab of trunk?  Ie, did the initial branch grab
> just the history of trunk, or di it grab the hsitory of all of the
> branches?

Grabbing and additional branch requires a fraction of the cost of the
initial branch. Bzr will transfer only the missing revisions. IIRC it
required 22 minutes for the initial branch (trunk) and 4 minutes for
multi-tty.

--
Óscar