Re: Strange message from "bzr pull"

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: Strange message from "bzr pull"
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2009 06:26:35 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> > Revisions, branches, merges, histories -- all these exist even with
>> > CVS, and anyone who worked with a VCS in an organization probably
>> > knows what rebase and deliver mean already.
>>
>> Those concepts have added meaning in DVCSs.
>
> I don't see anything about the added meaning here, for example:
>
>    http://doc.bazaar.canonical.com/bzr.2.0/en/user-guide/core_concepts.html

The bazaar docs are not that great explaining certain things. One clear
example is their introduction for CVS users linked elsewhere and the
document you referred is just a bit better: it defines certain things
but do not explain why are they necessary.

> (which ironically enough says that the revision-ids are an internal
> detail that is not important to users).

For the reason explained on a previous post, this is a bit unrealistic.

>> I was skimming the Internet for a while and found no docs that explained
>> the concepts without focusing on specific approaches from other tools
>> like git or mercurial. That could only mislead the Bazaar beginner.
>
> Please mislead me.  I read confusing prose for the living, so please
> do show those places, or at least suggest keywords for a Google
> search.  Thanks.

Okay, see this:

http://eagain.net/articles/git-for-computer-scientists/

Bazaar uses a different approach for most of the details described there
(and even for some fundamental things, as what really is tracked:
content vs files) so keep in mind that wathever you learn there is, most
likely, not applicable to bazaar in practice.

--
Óscar