Re: Quotes in Dired listing switches

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Quotes in Dired listing switches
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2009 15:10:22 -0200

> However, remote directory listings won't show a "thousands separator of
> the current locale", because Tramps sets LC_ALL to "C" on the remote
> hosts. The C locale has no thousands separator. If you (Juri) want to
> change this, you might customize `tramp-remote-process-environment',
> setting LC_ALL to en_US.UTF-8 or so. But please be careful, because
> Tramp reads output from some commands, and might expect English.

That's a shortcoming of Tramp which should only use LC_ALL=C for
commands whose output is parsed by Tramp but not for those whose output
is passed to the caller.  Then again, we may have the problem of
choosing between the caller's locale and the remote host's default
locale, I don't know.  In any case it's probably not a terribly
important problem for now, but should be kept somewhere as a thing that
would be nice to fix.

        Stefan