Re: bazaar: "unable to obtain lock"

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: bazaar: "unable to obtain lock"
Date: Fri, 01 Jan 2010 18:59:13 +0900

Kevin Ryde writes:

 > Karl Fogel <address@hidden> writes:
 > >
 > >   http://www.red-bean.com/kfogel/emacs-bzr-repository.tar.gz
 >
 > Is anything smaller possible for those of us at the end of a straw?
 > I see BzrQuickStartForEmacsDevs advises 300mb similarly.  Is some sort
 > of small no-history checkout possible?

It's possible, but AFAIK not without a smart server at the other end.
This is being worked on, but it's a Savannah issue with no ETA last I
heard, not an Emacs or Bazaar issue.  For status on this, see
https://savannah.gnu.org/support/?107077.

Óscar mentioned "lightweight checkout", but as I understand it this
may involve downloading the whole repo anyway, since actually
extracting files from the archive storage is done by your local bzr.
I don't think it's worth the effort for you, because of the way Bazaar
stores content in packs (compressed archives) of several megabytes.

Maybe somebody could create a temporary mirror with a smart server on
it for folks like you.  It could be "by invitation only" to limit
bandwidth and server wear-and-tear.