Re: bazaar: "unable to obtain lock"

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: bazaar: "unable to obtain lock"
Date: Fri, 01 Jan 2010 11:16:34 +0100

> Kevin Ryde writes:
>
>  > Karl Fogel <address@hidden> writes:
>  > >
>  > >   http://www.red-bean.com/kfogel/emacs-bzr-repository.tar.gz
>  >
>  > Is anything smaller possible for those of us at the end of a straw?
>  > I see BzrQuickStartForEmacsDevs advises 300mb similarly.  Is some sort
>  > of small no-history checkout possible?
>
> It's possible, but AFAIK not without a smart server at the other end.
> This is being worked on, but it's a Savannah issue with no ETA last I
> heard, not an Emacs or Bazaar issue.  For status on this, see
> https://savannah.gnu.org/support/?107077.

I don't think that the smart server would significantly reduce the
amount of transferred data for the first branch. What it can save is the
chit-chat associated with the sftp/http (IIRC http is worse than sftp.)
This can have a noticeable impact on the time required by the operation,
but if you are using a 56kb/s dialup connection, the 200+ MB of history
will hurt anyway.

> Óscar mentioned "lightweight checkout", but as I understand it this
> may involve downloading the whole repo anyway, since actually
> extracting files from the archive storage is done by your local bzr.

I was referring to the possibility of creating a tarball with a
lightweight checkout (this subthread is about the tarball containing the
initial setup, see above.) This tarball would be 31 MB, but the question
is if there is enough demand to justify it, or even if it makes sense:
if you are so desperate about bandwidth, day-to-day work with bazaar
will be *very* painful until someone setups a smart server as you
suggest.

[snip]

--
Óscar