Re: bug#881: patch for bug #881

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: bug#881: patch for bug #881
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 2010 08:22:33 +0100

Dan Nicolaescu <address@hidden> writes:

>   > > When applying changes by non-committers, should we use the --author
>   > > option of commit?
>   >
>   > Yes, that would be good.  We will even have to require it if/when we
>   > decide to auto-generate the ChangeLog file.
>   >
>   > > If so, is that supported by VC?
>   >
>   > I don't think so,
>
> How should it work? We don't have any nice generic mechanism/UI for
> doing VC backend specific things in the commit buffer.

Maybe something like

##--author="John Doe <address@hidden>"
<<rest of commit message here>>

BTW, psvn and similar packages put some explicative text on top of the
buffer plus the list of files to be committed:

## Lines starting with '## ' will be removed from the log message.
## File(s) to commit recursively:
## foo/bar.org

I think this would be useful specially now that it is important to
commit all files at once. So VC would show:

## Lines starting with '## ' will be removed from the log message.
## Lines starting with '##-' indicate extra arguments for the command.

--
Óscar