Re: `save-excursion' defeated by `set-buffer'

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: `save-excursion' defeated by `set-buffer'
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2010 10:21:50 +0100

> If you say that you find most (save-excursion (set-buffer combinations
> in the Emacs code base a bad idea, the solution is using grep and fixing
> all those occurences where you think they are an error.

Admittedly, there are too many occurrences of this idiom to be fixed by
a single person in reasonable time.  I suppose Stefan, when fixing a bug
incorrectly using that idiom, decided that the respective authors should
care about the remaining instances.  As a matter of fact, the majority
of them refuses to do so and the rest of us continue to live with the
annoying consequences.

IMHO, the best way to address this problem would have been to provide a
separate routine (which should be also able to catch occurrences like

      (save-excursion
        (if buffer
            (set-buffer buffer))

in xml.el), get back to the various authors and ask them to fix these
issues.

martin