Re: Unable to close a bug in the tracker.

From: Karl Fogel
Subject: Re: Unable to close a bug in the tracker.
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2010 20:14:06 -0500

Chong Yidong <address@hidden> writes:
>You're in the "automatically accept" list, so your messages should go
>through to the bug tracker without moderation.  But I don't see it in
>the debbugs-submit archive.  Strange; I'll investigate.

Thanks.

>Some of your criticisms boil down to "the bug page displays too much
>information which is distracting to users".  Fair enough, I'll take a
>look at whether we can hide some of this information.  (Though, to my
>eyes, the average Emacs bug page is a lot less intimidating looking
>than, say, than average Launchpad bug page, which has about ten times
>the number of "angry fruit salad" links, so tastes clearly differ.)

I don't think that's the important part.  The distractions on the page
are just distractions -- annoying, but they can be ignored.  The more
important part of my criticism is in the "general problems with the
system as a whole" section, especially the uncertain response time and
unreliability, and the lack of clear UI for manipulating bug states.
Those are killer.

Tastes do differ, but if you did a user survey, or user testing, which
do you think would come out ahead?  :-)  I mentioned Launchpad only
because it's one of the few that offer both web and email UI (and does
both well, IMHO), and therefore is a proof-by-existence that it doesn't
have to be this way.  We could use Bugzilla and still come out ahead.

Is there any convenient way to get access to the full bug database?
Like, all the mbox files, or something like that?  I'd be interested in
getting that, if so, to do a little statistical trawling.

-Karl