RE: autoload cookies for defcustoms

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: autoload cookies for defcustoms
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 2010 21:13:12 -0800

> > Just curious.  Is there a policy, for the Lisp code distributed with
> > Emacs, about using autoload cookies for defcustoms? If so,
> > what is it?
>
> AFAIK the policy is: "don't do it".
> It all too often introduces all kinds of nasty problems.
> More to the point, I welcome patches that remove tham.

OK.

And what about those that use `purecopy'? Why privilege autoloading of certain
options just because they have strings as values or parts of their values?
That's very implementation-centric, as opposed to privileging options that are
somehow considered "important" for users to know about.

Of course, if users can at least see all option names (all from the distributed
libraries) as completion candidates, that will go a long way toward making them
known to users before loading. That will be a welcome improvement.