Re: Is there something like `on-display-functions'?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Is there something like `on-display-functions'?
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2010 14:24:18 -0500

>> > I'd recommend you use jit-lock instead (via jit-lock-register), tho,
>> > because fontification-functions (despite its name) really only works
>> > well with a single function (at least I don't know how to make it work
>> > well with more than one, based on how it's currently defined).
>> Is that because it's got to set 'fontified' properties?

Yes.

> No, I don't think so.  The handler of the `fontified' property checks
> for the property's value being nil only once, and then runs all the
> functions in fontification-functions in a loop.  The relevant code is
> below.

That's not the problem.  The problem is to figure out which of the
functions should set this property and over which part of the buffer,
since that property should only be applied to the part of the buffer
that's fontified by all the functions (if the first functions fontifies
256 chars at a time and the second 1000 chars at a time, the property
should only be set on the first 256 bytes).

        Stefan