Re: redisplay system of emacs

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: redisplay system of emacs
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2010 12:01:16 +0100

Paul R <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi David,
>
>> Uh, Emacs needs to work without noticeable delays and with syntax
>> highlighting for documents of _book_ size, easily containing
>> thousands of pages. In fact, the size of the total document should
>> not affect editing speed.
>
> Is it so common to write books in a single monolithic file ?

Yes.  Because otherwise search&replace and other stuff become
increasingly painful to do.  In particular if not everybody working with
the same documents is using Emacs.

> The two typesetting systems I use from emacs allow (and encourage) to
> split the documents in many files. And emacs corresponding modes are
> designed for easy navigation between them.

It is fine if Emacs supports more than one way of organizing your work.
It is not fine if it falls apart if you don't do it in a particular way.

--
David Kastrup