Re: redisplay system of emacs

From: Paul R
Subject: Re: redisplay system of emacs
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2010 14:54:17 +0100

Hello Alan,

> Are you a native English speaker? "Ecosystem" is a system of ecology,
> which is the study of how organisms react with eachother and their
> shared environment. Implicit in ecology is its participants'
> obliviousness to ecology.

No, I am not a native English speaker, so I cared to read the definition
I had at hand, as well as the wikipedia article before giving my point
of view. I could not relate what I read there to what I read in the GNU
words-to-avoid page.

> There are other words which also imply interdependency yet which are
> less laden with loaded meanings. "Ecosystem" implies its participants
> (hackers etc.) are on the level of bugs, beetles and bacteria. It
> denigrates hackers, suggesting they are simply swept along helplessly
> by outrageous fortune, rather than being the agents of it. Some of
> these other words would be better, much better, such as ....

A free software ecosystem is composed of free software, isn't it ?

Also, it is probably just cultural, but around me the word 'ecosystem'
connotes very respected ideas, of equilibrium, sustainability, fairness.

--
  Paul