Re: Bind `q' to `quit-window' or similar in *Messages*

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Bind `q' to `quit-window' or similar in *Messages*
Date: Thu, 04 Feb 2010 10:33:22 -0500

>> ...which brings us back to the original request: most often it is
>> used for viewing what is happening, so that most people probably
>> were happy if `q' had the same quit-window binding it has in other
>> buffers that are not intended for editing.
> Indeed.

Agreed.  I think we need:
1- define a major mode for it with `q' bound to quit-window.
2- default it to read-only.

The major-mode will make it possible for people to add keybindings
and things.

        Stefan

PS: BTW, I've often felt that C-x C-q should turn on the undo-log when
making a buffer writeable.  It hasn't bothered me enough to actually
code it up and try it, but maybe people could try it out and see if it
leads to problems.