Re: file-truename, convert-standard-filename

From: MON KEY
Subject: Re: file-truename, convert-standard-filename
Date: Sat, 6 Feb 2010 21:16:21 -0500

On Sat, Feb 6, 2010 at 3:28 AM, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:
> It should be clear that `file-truename' operates on the file's name
> alone; see the ``name'' part of the function's name and also the
> function's doc string.

It certainly is clear that it operates on a filename. What is that?

It certianly is not always clear when the filename is string and when it
is some other object type.

> Why would one be confused about that?

These are assumptions which cause problems.
Why would one not be?

> Or are you talking about some other function(s)?

I'm talking about the general shift which seems to occur when it is
convenient for a handler to treat a file as an object or a string
depending on the context. While the context may be clear to the geese I
doubt it is as transparent to the gander.

/s_P\