Re: file-truename, convert-standard-filename

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: file-truename, convert-standard-filename
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2010 00:32:42 +0200

> Date: Tue, 9 Feb 2010 16:32:55 -0500
> From: MON KEY <address@hidden>
>
> On Sun, Feb 7, 2010 at 11:10 PM, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:
> >> (require 'foo)
> >>
> >> Which is the string of the filename referenced in the above form?
> >
> > As Andreas points out, rather than looking at a small portion of the
> > doc string, why don't you read it in its entirety?  The answer to your
> > question is there.
> >

> FWIW the string quoted is what appears in apropos... which is why i
> referenced it as such.
>
> None the less, the FEATURE 'foo is not a filename and does not
> designate the optional arg FILENAME.
> In the docstring of `require' FILENAME is an optional argument.
>
> In the example above the feature 'foo is a quoted symbol. There is no
> second arg FILENAME.
>
> Is the second arg implicit by virtue the ``printname of FEATURE''?
>
> (print 'foo (current-buffer))
>
> Where is the string?

I have no idea what you are talking about, even though I understand
all the words.  The doc string of `require' says:

    (require FEATURE &optional FILENAME NOERROR)

    If feature FEATURE is not loaded, load it from FILENAME.
    If FEATURE is not a member of the list `features', then the feature
    is not loaded; so load the file FILENAME.
    If FILENAME is omitted, the printname of FEATURE is used as the file name,

I don't know what you see there, but what I see is that FILENAME _is_
documented, and the last sentence says what happens if it's omitted.

> Or am I misinterpreting what occurs?

Yes, you are.