Re: Emacs-23 release branch

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Emacs-23 release branch
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2010 19:56:14 +0200

> From: Chong Yidong <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
> Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2010 12:34:23 -0500
>
> Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > Does this mean it is okay to merge my local bidi branch with mainline
> > any time I feel like it?
>
> Yes, if the bidi branch is in a usable state, please do so.

It _should_ be in a usable state, as all of the bidi support is
entirely dormant until you flip a buffer-local variable.  With a
single exception, all the bidi support code is only run if that
variable was set non-nil, and only for the buffer where it was set.
(The default is nil, of course.)  The single exception is the function
set_cursor_from_row, which needed a complete rewrite to be able to
support bidirectional display with `display' properties.

That said, I didn't yet have time to run the branch in a GUI session,
so maybe it would be prudent to wait with the merge until I do and can
see that it is stable (as long as the above-mentioned variable is not
set).

WDYT?