Re: GDB on Mac is (NOT) Broken

From: Nick Roberts
Subject: Re: GDB on Mac is (NOT) Broken
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2010 19:23:44 +1300

> > You don't say what version of GDB you're using but I suspect it is Apple
> > GDB.

> Which, being GDB, is of course non-proprietary software (though it
> runs on a proprietary platform), so Apple must, and does, provide a
> copy of the modified source code. Many versions are here: ...

Yes, but last time I checked FSF GDB compiled and ran on Darwin, and hence MAC
OSX, and this version didn't have the problem with extra ^M characters.

Furthermore, Apple GDB is a branch of FSF GDB which, not unreasonably, has
been tailored to Apple requirements such as Xcode and AFAIK only compiles on
Mac OSX and related platforms (iPhone?).  GPL allows them to take changes from
FSF GDB but doesn't require them to push them back although others, myself
included, can and do.

That's whay, as I've said before:

That it [Emacs] doesn't work with Apple GDB I don't see as a bug.  Of course, if
you or someone else posts a fix, I will be happy to apply it.

-
Nick                                           http://users.snap.net.nz/~nickrob