Re: [Emacs-diffs] /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r99650: Put scroll-bar on right b

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r99650: Put scroll-bar on right by default on UNIX.
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2010 19:10:24 +0100

Richard Riley <address@hidden> writes:

> Miles Bader <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Richard Riley <address@hidden> writes:
>>> You keep calling things that are pretty obvious and core to UI design
>>> issues "flimsy" while offering little in objection. I guess your mind is
>>> made up.
>>
>> And you keep throwing up random unsubstantiated hand-waving as if it's
>> somehow authoritative.
>
> What have I said that is any way random? You made that up to camouflage
> your wishy washy defence for not supporting the rhs. There are plenty of
> authoritative HCI studies which support UI controls being consistent
> across desktop applications. I assumed you would have known that so I
> didn't go into more detail.

Emacs is not consistent "across desktop applications" in pretty much
every other aspect if we consider out-of-emacs experiences (which become
increasingly less frequent the more you learn to use Emacs for a
multitude of tasks).  We don't adopt other conventions blindly.

So if you want to make a point worth considering, repeatedly merely
stating "everybody else does it" without even bothering to address
actual usability considerations made by others will not serve to support
your point.

Mindless repetition is not adding information to intelligent discourse,
even though our culture sometimes makes that hard to forget.

--
David Kastrup