Re: AW: delete-selection-mode

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: AW: delete-selection-mode
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2010 15:58:21 +0100

David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:

> "Drew Adams" <address@hidden> writes:
>>> telling users ... about the advantage having delsel-mode off.
>> There is none.
> You can set the mark, move somewhere else, type stuff there, and return
> using C-x C-x, again typing stuff there, without destroying anything you
> have written.
> The mark is, well, a _mark_.  Something you can set temporarily easily,
> later to return.
> There is no other mechanism, even half as straightforward and easy to
> use, for doing that kind of thing.
> Your polemics are just showing that you have chosen to willfully ignore
> the others' position and the respective advantages they see in the
> current defaults.  Is your position so weak that you have to resort to
> such tactics?

Anyway, here is some suggestion that might better satisfy you without
sacrificing behavior for others: we already distinguish between
transient regions marked with the mouse and with keyboard, namely with:

mouse-region-delete-keys is a variable defined in `mouse.el'.
Its value is

List of keys that should cause the mouse region to be deleted.

You can customize this variable.

If this variable would be made to accept keybindings in addition to
keys, one could add self-insert-command to this list.  In that manner,
the normal self-inserting characters would delete a region marked with
the mouse, but not marked with keyboard commands.

I am not sure that distinguishing mouse regions at all is a useful
thing, but while one does that, one could make use of it to silence the
I-want-things-just-like-with-Notepad crowd some more.

David Kastrup