Re: AW: delete-selection-mode

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: AW: delete-selection-mode
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2010 16:46:53 -0400

> Since I already gave examples and explained, it is obvious that you
> refuse to actually _listen_ to others in this "interesting discussion".

I for one haven't seen any such example.  The only "example" I've seen
was:

> You can set the mark, move somewhere else, type stuff there, and return
> using C-x C-x, again typing stuff there, without destroying anything you
> have written.

But this lacks crucial info about transient-mark-mode: if you don't have
transient-mark-mode enabled, the above example will not be affected by
delsel or any of its siblings.  OTOH if you do have t-m-m enabled, then
you'll probably want to use C-u C-x C-x rather than C-x C-x and also use
C-SPC C-SPC (so as not to activate the mark, to avoid spuriously
highlighting the region while you're moving around), in which case again
delsel will have no impact.

Have you actually tried delete-selection-mode?

I haven't tried delete-selection-mode itself, but I've used
cua-selection-mode for a while, and other than very minor problems (due
to subtle differences of behavior, specific to the cua-* code, which
would clearly need to be ironed out before enabling such a feature),
I was not bothered by it at all.  I did not use its features very much
either, to tell you the truth, but that's beside the point.

        Stefan