Re: AW: delete-selection-mode

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: AW: delete-selection-mode
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2010 09:08:24 +0100

"Drew Adams" <address@hidden> writes:

>> From: David Kastrup
>
> [rabid foaming at the mouth elided]
>
>> > Let's hear instead from those who use transient-mark-mode *without*
>> > delete-selection-mode (intentionally, not just by default or from
>> > ignorance of delsel). Let us know why t-m-mode without
>> > d-s-mode is the right choice as a default for Emacs.
>> > That could be an interesting discussion.
>>
>> Since I already gave examples and explained
>
> It's interesting to see you respond to that call, indicating that you
> now use transient-mark-mode, albeit without
> delete-selection-mode. Good to hear there has been some progress. What
> made you switch to t-m-mode?

There was no switch involved.  I stayed with the default, IIRC just like
Richard.  Using non-standard Emacsen makes it much harder to help other
people ("it doesn't do that here") and participate usefully in
discussions.

I don't believe in a culture that gives beginners a dumbed-down tool
while leaving the productivity to the people experienced enough to
recustomize Emacs to more useful behavior.

I also stayed with syntax highlighting once it became the default, and
reported (and experienced) a number of regressions (if you can call
intolerable performance for a feature not even present before a
regression) that were impacting Emacs' usability for large files.

> But you did *not* give any examples or explanation of why t-m-mode
> without d-s-mode is a better default than d-s-mode. Not in any mails I
> received from you, you didn't. Please point to one such example and
> explanation.
>
> Did you mean this, perhaps:
>
>> You can set the mark, move somewhere else, type stuff there, and
>> return using C-x C-x, again typing stuff there, without destroying
>> anything you have written.

If that was not in any mails you received from me, where did you pick it
from?

> Again, that's just a rehash of an argument why we should *not* even
> have t-m-mode as the default.

Huh?  That works fine with transient-mark-mode.

--
David Kastrup