Re: unit test framework

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: unit test framework
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2010 11:23:37 +0100

On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 11:07 AM, Leo <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 2010-03-18 09:31 +0000, Lennart Borgman wrote:
>> On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 8:39 AM, Masatake YAMATO <address@hidden> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Do you have a plan to include an elisp library for unit
>>> testing in Emacs-24?
>>>
>>> I've tried some and I'm using ert.el written by Christian M. Ohler.
>>>
>>>     http://github.com/masatake/ert/blob/master/ert.el
>>

>> I am using that in nXhtml with some additions to test fontifications
>> and commands.
>
> I have been thinking about using a unit test framework even for my own
> .emacs which has grown to a few thousand lines. But there are so many of
> them available and I don't know which one is good. Could you share why
> you use ert.el? Thanks.

At the time I looked at it ert seemed to be the best. I do not
remember why now and maybe it is not so important since there are
alternatives now. I will not be switching now because the
modifications I have made to ert is really what I need. (If however
another unit framework gets included in Emacs I will try to switch.)

I think those who have been writing new frameworks should be those
that answers why they have done so instead of trying to make ert
better fit their needs.