Re: delete-selection-mode

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: delete-selection-mode
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2010 11:30:19 +0100

Alan Mackenzie <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi, Stephen!
>
> On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 01:40:14PM +0900, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
>> Alan Mackenzie writes:
>
>>  > The answer is to ask them why they want this.  C-w is easy to type,
>>  > as is <delete>.
>
>> I can't speak for "them," but I want DEL to *delete* the region
>> because *kill-region* is very often *not* what I want.  Ie, I do not
>> want the deleted text on the kill ring.
>
> OK, that's an interesting point, but I'm not sure how connected it is
> to d-s-m.

I also don't think it is a good idea to tie the distinction delete/kill
into a side effect of different workflows.

> OK.  The penalty for that convenience is having your region explode
> and disappear when you accidentally type a self-insert character (or
> arrow key).  This might happen if you hit the x before the M in M-x,
> or something like that.  Or, you might regionify a defun with C-M-h
> for some reason and accidentally lose it.

For the record: I just noticed that a few minutes ago I yanked some
stuff from one buffer into a different buffer, then used C-x C-x to move
to the top of the inserted material in order to add a newline and some
other stuff there.

delete-insertion-mode would have just deleted my inserted material
again.

The sequence C-y C-x C-x is rather common in my usage patterns.  And I
don't know an equally convenient substitute.

--
David Kastrup