Re: delete-selection-mode

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: delete-selection-mode
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2010 10:02:52 +0800

> Is this true even when the region has been activated by keyboard commands?
> If so, perhaps it is a bug.  Perhaps the feature should only apply when
> you make the region using the mouse.

I think it should also apply when the region is made using the S-arrow
keys, as that is another common way of making a region which we have
provided for those same new users.

Personally I think that the traditional Emacs way of setting mark should
have neither delete-selection nor transient-mark by default.  The reason
is that Emacs has two distinct uses for the mark - as a mark, and as one
end of the region. Transient-mark-mode and delete-selection-mode really
only apply when the mark is used as one end of the region, and get in
the way when the intention is to use the mark as a mark.