Re: Concurrency

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: Concurrency
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2010 20:20:04 -0600

Daniel> In writing a different cooperatively-multitasked system, I've found that
Daniel> I needed a kind of wait queue ("condition variable" if you will). While
Daniel> you can build one out of the above primitives, it'd be better to provide
Daniel> it as a part of the standard library.

We purposely kept the API as minimal as possible.
E.g., there isn't even a user-visible thread object.

It is no trouble to add things, it just must be done thoughtfully, and
in particular with an eye toward not breaking the possibility of
preemptive threading.

On this particular point, I agree, condition variables will be required
sooner or later.

Tom