Re: MS-Windows build broken in Fmake_network_process

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: MS-Windows build broken in Fmake_network_process
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2010 20:27:31 +0300

> From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
> Date: Thu, 01 Apr 2010 01:59:44 +0900
>
> There are a lot more developers who are relatively
> familiar with X Windows, and most POSIX-based developers will be
> familiar with X.

I doubt that.  At least my personal experience is different: I know
almost nothing about X, but have no problem hacking the non-X parts of
Emacs, even where they are Posix specific.  It's no accident that the
first build of Emacs that supported bidi was a GNU/Linux TTY build.

> They would like to be refactoring code, but they can't do that if it
> crosses an #ifdef MSWINDOWS (or whatever the #define is) unless
> they're willing to take a hack at implementing the Windows version.

Refactoring of Windows code is done by the maintainers of the Windows
port.  Most of the other maintainers should probably use hideif or
some such to remove the Windows code from sight.

> It was precisely such an exercise that triggered this thread (or
> maybe it's a similar thread).

No, this thread was triggered by an attempt to ignore Windows-specific
aspects of networking and signals, not by some #ifdef'ed code.