RE: Obsoleting end-user-functions [was: turn-on-* type functions]

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Obsoleting end-user-functions [was: turn-on-* type functions]
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2010 00:19:17 -0700

> > A harder, invasive idea: get rid of explicit byte-compilation,
> > by default.

What do you mean "by default"?

> > If Emacs always byte-compiles out-of-date
> > libraries at load time, the warnings would be generated.

If load implies byte-compile, then, again, what did you mean by "by default"?
When would non-compiled code be used - just by explicit eval (e.g. `C-x C-e')
instead of load?

> I've been using byte-code-cache.el for years. It reimplements
> load in lisp, byte-compiling files and automatically caching the
> results. It's a hack, but it works very well for most things I
> try with it; to date, the only things I've seen break with it
> are tramp and nxhtml, though I haven't put as much effort as I
> should have into figuring out _why_ it breaks.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding... Are you suggesting that every load would load
byte-compiled code?

So to use the debugger I would need to explicitly eval stuff (e.g. whole
libraries)? Surely you don't mean for users to debug using byte-compiled code?