Re: make dist target for Windows

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: make dist target for Windows
Date: Tue, 06 Apr 2010 21:00:19 +0300

> Date: Mon, 05 Apr 2010 20:12:53 -0600
> From: Christoph <address@hidden>
> CC: address@hidden
>
> However, I get the following error in both scenarios:
>
> Using Cygwin, mingw32:
> C:\Windows\system32\cmd.exe /c 'zipdist.bat
> "D:/devel/emacs/emacs-bzr/makedistw32/nt/.." 24.0.50'
> devel was unexpected at this time.
> mingw32-make: *** [dist] Error 255
>
> Using Cmd.exe, GNU coreutils. mingw32:
> C:\Windows\system32\cmd.exe /c "zipdist.bat
> \"D:/devel/emacs/emacs-bzr/makedistw32/nt/..\" 24.0.50"
> devel was unexpected at this time.
> mingw32-make: *** [dist] Error 255

Does it work to use backslashes instead of forward slashes?

> Here is my preliminary final version:
>
>      $(COMSPEC)$(ComSpec) /c $(ARGQUOTE)zipdist.bat $(INSTALL_DIR)
> $(VERSION)$(ARGQUOTE)
>
> This will work fine with the cygwin shell and Windows PreNT/NT cmd.exe
> as long as $(INSTALL_DIR) does not contain any spaces.

Does it help to use $(DQUOTE) 3 times in a row instead, like this:

        $(COMSPEC)$(ComSpec) /c $(ARGQUOTE)zipdist.bat """$(INSTALL_DIR)"""
$(VERSION)$(ARGQUOTE)

> However, is the rest of the makefile capable of handling this case
> correctly? I see $(INSTALL_DIR) quoted in some places, some don't have
> quotes. The NOTES section of the makefile says that quoting helps making
> the forward slashes work in cmd.exe. It does not mention the support of
> spaces in file names.

You are right, INSTALL_DIR with spaces will not work.  But not because
of lack of quoting; because it is used in targets and prerequisites,
and GNU Make does not support targets and prerequisites with embedded
blanks.

So you might as well forget about the triple quotes I suggested above,
it's not needed.