Re: Messed up display and incorrect handling of `face' specs on before-s

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Messed up display and incorrect handling of `face' specs on before-strings
Date: Wed, 07 Apr 2010 01:15:03 -0400

> From: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
> Date: Tue, 06 Apr 2010 23:13:22 -0400
>
> Try the nhexl-mode below on a buffer.
> You should see that the first line of the buffer is displayed
> differently from the rest (the first line is displayed the way I'd want
> it).  On the subsequent lines, the `face' properties as well as the
> `display' properties on the before-strings seem to be ignored (or
> something like that).

In which version(s) of Emacs? TTY? GUI? both?

In Emacs 23.1.92 on a TTY I see the ASCII characters on the right
underlined, while the hex part is not.  The other lines are underlined
in the hex part as well.  Also, the first line is 2 columns to the
right after the address part, relative to the other lines.  And the
highlight of the current byte in the hex part does not work on any
line but the first one.

Is this what you meant?

If so, could you perhaps summarize the problems you see in terms of
the underlying features (`display' properties, overlays,
`before-strings', etc.)?  Armed with that knowledge, it would be much
easier to look in the display code what it would do under the
circumstances.