Re: Messed up display and incorrect handling of `face' specs on before-s

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Messed up display and incorrect handling of `face' specs on before-strings
Date: Wed, 07 Apr 2010 09:46:16 -0400

>> Try the nhexl-mode below on a buffer.
>> You should see that the first line of the buffer is displayed
>> differently from the rest (the first line is displayed the way I'd want
>> it).  On the subsequent lines, the `face' properties as well as the
>> `display' properties on the before-strings seem to be ignored (or
>> something like that).

> In which version(s) of Emacs? TTY? GUI? both?

I only tested it in GUI, but your tty description indicates it also
shows up for ttys (unsurprisingly).

> In Emacs 23.1.92 on a TTY I see the ASCII characters on the right
> underlined, while the hex part is not.  The other lines are underlined
> in the hex part as well.

That's the kind of discrepency I'm talking about, yes.

> Also, the first line is 2 columns to the right after the address part,
> relative to the other lines.

That as well.

> And the highlight of the current byte in the hex part does not work on
> any line but the first one.

Also.

> Is this what you meant?

Yup.

> If so, could you perhaps summarize the problems you see in terms of
> the underlying features (`display' properties, overlays,
> `before-strings', etc.)?

The first and 3rd issues seem to be due to the fact that `face'
properties on the before-strings of the overlays aren't obeyed except on
the first line.  And the second is the same problem but for the
`display' property.

        Stefan