Re: 23.1.95 pretest; windows binaries

From: Sean Sieger
Subject: Re: 23.1.95 pretest; windows binaries
Date: Fri, 09 Apr 2010 12:27:03 -0400

Jason Rumney <address@hidden> writes:

    They need to be somewhere on the PATH.  But Emacs doesn't require
    those image formats to display its own interface correctly (for
    example the splash screen and the tool bar), and if you include
    binaries of those libraries with Emacs, then you also need to include
    the exact source they were built from along with them (as is done in
    libxpm-3.5.7-w32-src.zip). I'd also advise to keep up with security
    bugfixes in those libraries so we are not shipping known security
    holes to Emacs users.  The last task is what convinced me to keep the
    libraries to a minimum, as at the time I was considering this there
    was a spate of security holes found in image libraries. Also, building
    some of these libraries on Windows is not supported by the standard
    makefiles and is poorly documented.

I pruned and built a libXpm-3.5.8 libXpm.dll and will upload it with the
next pretest or release; I removed all other image support dlls.  Will
look into complete set of currents image support libraries unless you
advise against spending my time doing so.

I think the libxpm sources could be pruned a little closer, I would
appreciate any help with it and maybe testing it with emacs-20100409-bin
& barebin-i386.zip, I will build a snapshot of the trunk tonight and
upload it to ftp.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/windows along with
libxpm-3.5.8-w32-src.zip.