Re: Gtk tabs in emacs, new branch.

From: David De La Harpe Golden
Subject: Re: Gtk tabs in emacs, new branch.
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2010 17:40:37 +0100

Jan Djärv wrote:

You guys seem to think that tabs are just extra buttons to be pressed. In Gtk+ they are not. When you press on a tab an whole new Gtk widget (with associated X window) covering the whole frame is switched in. So the old contents is not shown.

This I think is why I liked the idea of whole-emacs-frames being "in" gtk tab notebooks rather than vice-versa. So what are the tab notebooks "in" from the emacs perspective? It doesn't matter, some sort of transient thingy created and destructed on demand - doesn't really need to be visible to the emacs lisp side, since the x11-level window manager plus the outer gtk notebook layer is acting as the "window manager" level layer to emacs frames.

OTOH - can one fudge a gtk notebook with funny dimensions and catch
the tab change event? i.e. rather than putting the old contents "truly" in the tab notebook

 _______________
|   \___\_______|
|+-------------+|
||             ||
||             ||

fake it with a zero-sized content of each tab, and just put the contents next to it?

There might be fugliness problems, of course.