Re: Gtk tabs in emacs, new branch.

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Gtk tabs in emacs, new branch.
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2010 12:05:32 -0400

> Mode specific actions to tabs?
> I do get a certain impression that people who propose
> non-switch-pane-of-content uses for tabs are really looking for just more
> toolbars - rows of buttons.

Indeed.  The current tool-bar has some serious limitations for tabs:
- the appearance isn't right.
- no text.
- can't have two "tool bars".

If we could have more flexible tool-bars (more control over the
appearance and content, more control over the possible key-bindings,
...) and if we could have more of them and placed differently
(e.g. anywhere in the window tree), then that would subsume the need for
tabs and the neds for extra header-lines.

        Stefan