Re: Guile in Emacs

From: immanuel litzroth
Subject: Re: Guile in Emacs
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2010 11:55:27 +0200

> Emacs Lisp is streamlined for editing.  Common Lisp has its own focus.
Common Lisp doesn't have a focus that I am aware of. It is the language
that is most close to Emacs Lisp syntactically, and most emacs code that
doesn't have editor specific stuff will run in Common Lisp & vice versa.

> For an extension language, it is preferable to have a system where you
> can read through the manual in one day and basically understand it
The effort to "basically" understand CL is the same as the for scheme. Moreover
scheme has some exotic stuff like hygienic macros and continuations which are
not stuff you "basically understand in a day".

> Scheme is a smaller starting point than Common Lisp.
So with a common lisp system you get:
1) compilation to machine code
2) standardized implementation of classes
3) structures, hashes
4) Exceptions
With a scheme system you get
1) call-with-current-continuation

Moreover if you really like emacs based on scheme why not go for edwin?
Immanuel